Thursday, January 29, 2009

There's something cooking in Denmark (at last) - Presenting Mellemblond

I probably spend too much time bitching over the lack of exciting Danish music. I can't even remember the last time we presented a Danish act here at Indie Laundry. 

However, we have entered a new year, have got a new President in the States and then I discover a new Danish band that checks all the boxes: Melodies, energy, sound (produced by Nikolaj Nørlund)... well, the works. The band is Mellemblond and 'Ude af mine hænder' is their brand new debut album. Mellemblond is a Copenhagen based three-piece act playing no-nonsense bluesy rock with dreamy lyrics - in Danish! 

The genre has Black Rebel Motorcycle Club written all over it but Mellemblond's melodies are strong enough to give the songs their own distinct flavour. And if you do not speak Danish you will miss out on some fine poetic qualities in the mould of Danish heavyweights like C.V. Jørgensen and Steppeulvene. There are titles such as 'The Trees' Triumph' and 'Ice hand', and lines like 'At every corner of life, there is an edge'. I sedriously doubt if my sub-quality translations here will do any good but I couldn't help myself... 
Check 'em out at Myspace.

No comments: