Thursday, December 30, 2010

Happy new year, 2010 is ending. What is the good song or video for ending times?

2010 is ending and new years eve is just a day away.

On a general scale I tend to follow Slovenian philosopher and cultural theorist Slavoj Žižek thoughts on western societies living in end times. I might be stretching it a bit if I use these thoughts as a metaphor for the celebration of new years eve and the music to go with it (if so, I'm preparing a celebration with quite a dystopian starting point).

On the other hand, ending is seldom definitive (set a side your own definitive ending by biological decomposition). Most of the time ending is setting new perspectives. And new perspectives are always (!) good. The new perspectives might be positive or negative, depending on the view point, but they are non the less new perspectives - ranging on a scale from radical creativity to revitalisation.

I'm not sure if I am killing the party not yet begun. So give us your perspective on the perfect song for ending times. It could be a good old classic or brand new - even avantgarde. I, or some one else, might play it tomorrow (or when we are getting fired from our jobs - you know, perspective)

New years eve or not, happy or not, here is a starting point to get your imagination crawling. But Happy New Year and let your party begin!

There is no ending - Arab Strap


Happy New Year - Abba


End times - Eels


It's the end of the world as we know it (and I feel fine) R.E.M.


Every party has a winner and a loser - Erland Oye


There is an end - Ronnie Spector


The new year - Azure Ray


Dance me to the end of love - Leonard Cohen

No comments: