Saturday, April 07, 2007

Hot hot heat - Mims the goofy rapper

Story is that I havn't really heard any new music lately. Just bought some The Shins albums and been digging them a lot more since I recently was told I saw - and enjoyed - their show at Roskilde 2004. Festivals are bliss! Makes you forget about stuff just to surprise you later. I like that aspect of a festival!
But. Today I read a quite amusing article, which is all about why I hate a lot of the new hip-hop shit out there.

Scene is like this: Our mainman is Mims - a hot ass rapper revitalizing the genre from his hood in N.Y. Mims has this new single out called 'This is why I'm hot'. The single is #1 on Billboard.
In an article in Village Voice journalist and genious Rob Harvilla (whoever you are, you're entertaining!) does a graphical dissertation on the number one song in America. The song has this truely fantastic hook: "I'm hot 'cause I'm fly/You ain't 'cause you not."

Rob Harvilla concludes that: Mims is hot because he's fly. But it raises the question: Does being hot guarantee one's being fly? [...] It would appear that fly and hot are interchangable. If you are one, you are both; if you aren't at least one, you are neither.

Well - read it here or just watch the video. It's just so goofy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well we might as well face it: Mims is hot/we're not. 'cause he's fly/ we might as well dye. Oh shit I could be a Rapper/ snapper dabber. Sorry got carried away, But in our irony, lets not forget that once rap was hot, but that was way back, when Stesasonic and A tribe called quest were young. Nice article, you nail the music worlds most decadent genre right on it's head.
Tomas