Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Pitchfork 500 - Dec. 10th - Super Furry Animals

Today we will lift the mood a notch or two. There was no way I was gonna ignore my favorite Welsh guys (aside from Ian Rush, of course) in the wonderful, spaced-out pack of Super Furry Animals. They have penned so many brilliant songs but Pitchfork have managed to choose one I did not know - well, I may have heard it once or twice but 'Ice Hockey Hair' only came out as an EP. As it doesn't figure on any of the Animals' regular albums, it is not to be found on my cd shelves (yes, I am very much a sucker for the good old album format).

Super Furry Animals have always produced excellent music videos that reflect their humoristic approach to their art. I challenge you to sit this one out without getting a smile on your face. Prepare for a vocoder soaked murder story, complete with sing-a-long choruses and some passive table tennis playing.

NB: In a strange way, both the use of vocoder and the video's stage scenario seems to quote Daft Punk's 'Around the world' which is from 1997. As 'Ice Hockey Hair' is from 1998, it could be the case. Judge for yourself. (the music kicks off after 20 seconds, so be patient)


No comments: